[Must-See Films To Watch On A Rainy-Day]

Favourite Films to Watch on a Rainy Day 

Rainy days exist for two reasons:
 a) To go outside with friends and act like a 5 year old on the way to school, jumping and splashing around in puddles, and slowly acknowledging the fact that you will more than likely catch a cold, or
 b) To stay inside, admiring the rain from within while staying warm and indulging yourself in a daydream. If the former doesn’t appeal to you, then the latter just might.

Note: Experience will be just as magnificent when accompanied by a little pug puppy and copious amounts of chips, chocolate, and cookies.


1) Lost in Translation (2003, Sofia Coppola)
Sofia Coppola could direct a film about any subject matter, even if it is as simple as the pavement across from my house, I would simply adore it. Hell, she could direct a movie on potatoes and I’d be just as enthralled by it. Needless to say, Coppola’s Lost in Translation is just that; an infinitely gorgeous film that time and time again I become immersed in. It explores the story of Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson), a recent college graduate, and Bob (Bill “will-you-Murray-me”). Both overwhelmed by the beautiful and immense city that is Tokyo, they develop a rapport with each other, but sadly realise that their relationship is only limited to their time in Tokyo. Now, If Lost in Translation doesn’t make you want to jump on a plane and get lost in a crazy city and make imprudent connections with delightful people, I definitely suggest that you reconsider some of your choices in life. However, if I ever managed to get to Tokyo and Bill Murray didn’t immediately meet up with me a hotel bar, I’d be severely disappointed. Nevertheless, I can still love him and appreciate him from afar.


2) Notting Hill (1999, Roger Michell)
I’m not going to lie; I genuinely feel miserable some days, when I wake up and realise that I’m not Julia Roberts. She is, hands down, one of the most beautiful and talented actresses out there. Hugh Grant…? Yeah, he’s okay, I guess – ha, kidding! I love his guts. It just makes sense to put these two together in a film. Will (Hugh Grant) is the owner of a little travel bookshop, and Anna (Julia Roberts) is one of the biggest celebrities out there – needless to say, neither of them expected to meet the other, but opposites attract anywhere, any day, under any circumstance. When their two worlds are so immensely separate, how is their relationship ever going to work? Notting Hill is a dreamy little tale of the whirlwind romance between Will and Anna, trying (and hopefully succeeding) to inspire and bring out the romantic in us all. I don’t care if you say you aren’t at least somewhat romantic. I won’t believe you. In the meantime, I will continue to wait for the day when Julia Roberts walks into my workplace. (C’mon, a girl can still hope, right?)




3) Garden State (2002, Zach Braff)
Garden State is, undeniably, my all-time favourite film. If you’ve ever had a conversation with me, I will have at one stage started carrying on about how perfect this film is. If I haven’t yet had this conversation with you, well, give it time. Written, directed by and starring Zach Braff, the story focuses on a man called Andrew (Braff), returning to his old hometown after hearing some devastating news regarding his mother. Based off Braff’s real life experiences, it is genuine, intimate, and honest, depicting some of the things we feel and inevitably have to learn throughout our twenties. With a cool little indie soundtrack chosen specifically by Braff himself, featuring music by The Shins, Nick Drake and Iron & Wine, Garden State is the definition of a cult indie classic that from the first time you see it, will always hold a place in your heart, I’m sure of it. If it doesn’t, well… I don’t know. It’s your prerogative, buddy.




4) 500 Days of Summer (2009, Marc Webb)
You like The Smiths? That’s nice. So do a lot of people. In fact, listening to The Smiths on a rainy day kind of go hand-in-hand. Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s portrayal of the young Tom Hansen (the epitome of a Smiths enthusiast) is someone that I’m sure most of us have identified with at one stage of our adolescent life – perhaps even later in life, too. Tom’s (Gordon-Levitt) life is changed when he meets and falls in love with the enigmatic Summer Finn, played by Zooey Deschanel. The film explores the tumultuous relationship that Tom and Summer share, and the conflicting beliefs that they have on love. It’s a gorgeous little film that, not unlike Garden State, is an offbeat indie flick that makes you want to fall in love with being in love.




5) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004, Michel Gondry)
Like the rain, feelings pass. It’s completely human to stop loving someone or something. Though it’s difficult to register at times, one day, it might all just make sense why what happened needed to happen, and why you feel the way you feel. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a sci-fi-dramedy starring Jim Carrey as Joel, and Kate Winslet as Clementine, two people that were together once but alas aren’t anymore. When Joel realises that Clementine had Joel removed from her memory, Joel goes to do the same, but in the process, begins to realise and regret his decision. It doesn’t matter how many times I watch this film, I always go through the same thought pattern: “Yes, removing the memories of someone is a brilliant idea!” However, I’m usually sobbing violently by the end of the film and my views are completely flipped. I’m sure that once you watch this film, you’ll understand why.





Some of us need a little inspiration – something to help us escape – so while you’re hiding away inside, wondering what the rest of the world is up to while yours is surrounded by the pitter-patter sound of raindrops – rug up, make some tea, get cosy, and take the time to watch some films that’ll fuel thoughts of love and loss, dreams of wanderlust, and all those little bits in-between in life.

Article  By.  Eden Ashley