[Robin Williams, A True Filmic Legend]


Where do I start? Where does anyone start when discussing such a man whose comedy genius and impeccable acting techniques have touched everyone’s lives, and has made them that much brighter. Either his rise to fame, in one of his most iconic performances as an alien in Mindy and Mork? Or do we start at his tragic death only announced yesterday morning. For me, I think I will take the advice of Williams' wife, Susan Schneider, and focus not on his death but “on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."
Excuse me for talking about myself for the entirety of what follows, but I wanted to share my own story, and I’m sure that everyone has experienced the magic that Williams has shared with us all.
I look back fondly on childhood films and see a man, whose huge body of work is responsible for so many laughs and so many tears, someone so much larger than life. I will never forget the first time I saw Robin Williams light up my screen, in his 1991 hit classic Hook. My mum brought it home for my brother and me, for our weekly movie night, and we all sat down and watched it as a family, I was completely and utterly enthralled. A movie where the adults were pirates, the children lived with no rules and a man named Peter Pan could fly around saving the day whilst kissing fairies and mermaids! Which 6-year-old girl wouldn’t love that?
Watching Williams’ films as an adult is a completely different experience all together. The raunchy jokes were remarkable to hear through my innocent ears, I felt like I’d found the key to my parents parental lock. But thinking back, without a doubt, Genie, from Aladdin, was my favorite character. The way he created different characters within seconds with only his voice made him the main attraction. I was also astonished to discover that the only reason that the script for Aladdin wasn’t nominated for an Academy Award was because Williams had improvised much of Genie’s dialogue, and I’m actually happy that it was this way, because we could hear and experience the sheer audacity and pure, unique talent that Williams possessed.
Me being the aspiring actress that I was, snatched up my computer to see who this amazing voice actor was, only to find out, he was my hero. He’s an enigma that will be truly missed through the scenes of any good film. A man whose complete charismatic air brightened up anyones day. But there’s no Neverland, no magical board-game underground, or infinite amount of genie wishes that could bring Robin Williams back. But he’ll forever live in the films that have shaped and changed our lives, and made our childhoods far more magical.

By Taylor Clarke-Pepper